Friday, November 16, 2007

Emily Belle - Sweet Baby - on her way home November 1st, 2007


Emily Belle leaving Guatemala... it was a hard day for Betsy... it was a happy day for me as well. I was so sad to take her out of her birth country and away from her beautiful culture and language and people... but I was so relieved and excited and in awe of the miracle of her adoption...how can something feel wrong and right at the same time? I had SO enjoyed getting to know her again for the last six days in Guatemala, it felt good, safe, and comfortable for her, but I was ready to take her back to my world now, her new country and her forever home! I knew the next few weeks would be hard for her, but I also know how merciful and full of grace our God is and that HE alone can ease her into all the changes that were ahead. He had readied our hearts and I had to trust that she was ready to. So we played in the airport until it was time to board the plane home...we said goodbye to the green majestic mountains that had mesmerized her and the faces and voices that lullabyed her, then we walked the first few steps towards her new life. I cried as we took off, I hated that she had to leave Guatemala and all that she loved there, but I knew it was all in God's plan for her life...with in His perfect will and purpose for her and us. I had peace about those we were leaving behind who might wonder about her...He will somehow let their hearts know she's fine. I had So much joy about seeing our family again, who I knew would be waiting as we stepped off this plane. They were ready to meet her and know her and love her...forever....I knew all of them already did. It was time to go home, and what a beautiful gift I was able to take with me when I left Guatemala! I will return someday to these people and these beautiful mountains. Emily Belle and I will come back when she wants to see her country and culture. Until then, I am going to keep the memory of this place strong in my mind for her. I want her to know what wonderful days we spent here, as she became our daughter!
ps - Thank you to my sweet daughter Jill for going with me to Guatemala, you know I would have never made it with out you! Thank you to my mom and grandmother for such long travel and such kind hearts to take good care of my crew at home, especially little Matthew while he was sick. Thanks to my friend Scott W., Anna's dad, for sharing this beautiful song by Michelle Featherstone. And Thank you to our friends in Belgium, who so kindly and in total compassion for children in need of a family, gave us the means, and encouragement to find our strength and faith to walk this path once again...this time to a sweet, and most beautiful, little Guatemalan Princessesa!

2 comments:

Julie (Bailey and Gavin's Mommy !) said...

I was there too my friend, grieving for what you left behind, rejoicing for what is ahead and praying for your family as you began your new lives together. What a beautiful post !
God Bless-
Julie

jobravo said...

Betsy,
Why do your posts always make me cry? I am overwhelmed with happiness for you, your family and Emily Belle! We are Blessed!
Jolene