




We survived the appointment at the U.S. Embassy and are pleased to live to tell about it. It was probably the best civic field trip any high school sophomore in the U.S. had that day in Guatemala City, October 30th, 2007. Jill certainly got an education on what it means to be a privileged, U.S. born citizen and be able to walk right past hundreds of people waiting for the chance to just talk to someone about coming to this country. After waiting about an hour outside of the embassy with the masses, we went in through tight security and were escorted to a room with hundreds more people and about 30 families adopting babies, where we waited to ask for a visa approval for Emily Belle to come to the United States. After a 4 hours wait we spoke to a man in a small room who immediately identified Jill and I as being from the south because we addressed him as sir. He asked a few questions about Nashville and country music and then told me he approved her I600. (yeah!) Then, more waiting... and we were called to window #9 for a short talk with a lady who was not so friendly. Even though my documents had been closely looked at by my agency, and the attorney's assistant in Guatemala, I was missing one important page on one of the 178 pages of documents I carried with me! I almost had a heart attack! Thankfully, the very nice, (very professional,) young lady the agency has to help families with embassy appointments, Sonia!! the Godsend!!, was able to talk to the lady and work out the missing document with one she had there. I signed it and she stamped it and we were ON OUR WAY out the front door and one step closer to home!!
So Jill got a glance in real time of the desperation of people all around this world who want to live where she lives and I think now, she understands why. She was also thankful to walk out that door with Emily Belle approved and almost ready to travel home! We also want to THANK or friends the Grove family for sending such a darling dress for Emily to wear to her important appointment!! I had NO time to shop for such a special dress and was thrilled to receive that in the mail for her! It fit perfectly and she was very Guatemalan looking...everyone thought she was a beautiful little doll! Thank you Jolene and Layla!

1 comment:
Happy Emnbassy Day Miss Emily Belle... You looked so pretty !
God Bless-
Julie
Post a Comment