Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A VERY Happy Day! ~






A few days ago, Leslie and I had the honor and privilege of rising early, dressing our Guatemalan Princessa, and arriving at the court house for a VERY important reason. Shortly after 8:00am. we were called to stand before a judge who knows us well, (for this reason only!), raise our right hands, and publicly pledge our life long commitment to our new daughter. Of course, this commitment was made in our hearts, the first week of December, 2006, when she was just a few weeks old. With every day that passed, every step of her progress towards us, every tear we shed because she was so far away, we felt our love and commitment for her grow stronger and stronger.
I thought the moment I first met her in person last July in Guatemala was the most alive my heart would ever feel for her, I was wrong. I thought the phone call from my trusted friend in Guatemala, telling me she was finally out of PGN was THE best news ever! I thought the elevator ride down to the lobby of the Westin Hotel to receive her in arms forever, was my biggest moment of overwhelming love for her. Then, I thought it couldn't get any better than walking down the steps of the US Embassy in Guatemala City with Emily in one hand and a package of documents (almost bigger than she was) in the other. Those papers said she was mine to take home forever, but again, I was wrong, there was more to come! I can tell you now, that standing in that court room together, and making our promise before a judge, watching him sign her decree over to us, and walking out on United States soil with Emily in my arms and Leslie by my side, was even better than I could have ever imagined! Do you think I cried all the way home and was THANKING GOD with every beat of my heart?? I can tell you, I was! I was praising His name, and thanking my Heavenly Father for bringing THIS little girl into my life and our hearts and family FOREVER!! God, in His wisdom and His wonderful plan and purpose for our lives, I have SO learned to trust!
Thank you Jesus, for Emily Belle!
I hope she KNOWS just how much we absolutely love and treasure her. I think she already feels like she is a solid part of our family, and in time, I pray that she will one day understand the impact of the commitment our entire family made to her (again), a few days ago. We will never let her forget the good, kind, and honest people IN Guatemala, who also showed unconditional love towards her while she waited for us, and grew into such a beautiful and happy toddler, (especially her foster family). We regret the precious time lost with her, but are thankful for a life time to make up for it now. We are most thankful to her birth mom for loving her so much that she made a wonderful plan for the future of her newborn daughter. Emily Belle's adoption was possible because of total love from her birth mom and from us, and one day, when she is old enough to understand, I'll share her entire beautiful story with her. I'm so proud of her and can't wait to do that.
Here are a few pics from our very happy day!

5 comments:

Mama Bunny said...

Congrats Emily, Leslie, and Betsy!!!! I am so happy for you all, and Em looks like SUCH a pretty girl in her dress.

Sharon said...

What great photos! Congratulations!

jobravo said...

Oh Betsy!!! She is so beautiful and that smile of hers just lights up the room! I can see that her mommy and daddy love her so very much! I am so happy for you and your family.
Jolene

Debbie said...

Congratulations!!! We just did the same thing!!

Debbie

Frances said...

I am so glad this day has come for you and your family. You can breathe a sigh of relief now...she is yours and NO ONE can change that!

She looks so beautiful and happy with her mommy and daddy!

Frances