Monday, July 14, 2008

Once again, I ask for PRAYERS


But, this time it is for our own family. Our precious daughter Jillian was involved in a serious accident in her car as she was leaving church yesterday morning around 11am. She is not well, and needs your prayers. She was transported by Life-flight from the first hospital down to Vanderbilt. I can tell you there is not much more to bring you to your knees than to be in your car on the interstate, and to see the helicopter flying right over you... knowing that your child is in there with kind and skilled strangers trying to save her live! I have honestly never felt so out of control, and helpless in my entire life! Our hearts are shattered, of course. You never expect to kiss your child goodbye and only hours later, face the possibility of the rest of your life with out them!! It is utterly shattering. IT is agony!

She is in the trauma unit at Vanderbilt. She has internal bleeding from her lacerated liver and spleen. She may also have a broken leg and foot, but those are the very least of the worry at this point. She was wearing her seat belt, and we have been told by practically every single Dr. and nurse who has seen her in both hospitals, that she could not have survived an impact such as this, with out her seat belt on. I am very thankful they have her stabilized now and that we are not planning a funeral today. They are doing test every few hours to determine if she will have to go into surgery on her liver. We pray that today will show some clotting and that she can avoid more trauma. But, of course if the bleeding does not slow down, there will be no choice on the surgery. She is in a lot of pain, more than I have ever witnessed in a person. She is very sick, and needs to heal.

I'll update here as I can. I may not be back home until late tonight or in the morning. Please also pray for Lee and Burt as they will have care of the other 5 children until Leslie or I can get back home, or until my parents arrive. The trauma unit has very limited visiting, so we are trying to be there for her every minute available to us. We also ask that you remember the other people involved. We have no information on their condition.

We returned Saturday night from a wonderful week at the beach! It is just so hard to be here now... in this sadness when only a day ago we were all so happy to be together with our extended family. Jill LOVES the beach and spent the week playing in the surf, finding shells, learning to water ski, eating great seafood, and spending time with her cousins, grandparents, and great grandmother. Reality can be cruel at times, but Les and I will remain faithful that God's hand is solidly upon Jill and that HE will bring healing to her body as she needs it so badly today.
Thank you for your prayers so much!!
hug your kids!
Betsy

9 comments:

Eddie Brodbeck said...

Betsy and Leslie:
I am so sorry to here that my wonderful Jill has a serious auto accident. I will be thinking and praying for her quick and full recovery. If I can do any think at all, just ask. I will call you later today to check on her condition.
Praying for her recovery,
Eddie Brodbeck

Anonymous said...

We love you all...you are in our prayers!! We wished we could be there with you!! Jill is such a beautiful and strong girl, I have faith that God has his hands on her now! Please let us know if we can help in any way!! Love, Alicia Bailey Ramsey

Davis Family said...

Betsy,

I am praying that Jill's condition & that she will not require surgery.

~Deena

Shana said...

Betsy,

I'm so worried- I just wish I could talk to you. I'm going to try Leslie's cell phone. I spoke with Lee yesterday but haven't heard anything since. My love, my thoughts, and especially my prayers are with sweet Jill and you all now. Please please update when you can. I'm sick with worry.

Sending ALL my hugs & prayers...

Love, Shana

Sally'O said...

I am praying for Jill, and your family! If there is ANYTHING we can do PLEASE let us know. I have told Lee the same.

jobravo said...

Betsy,
I am so sorry to hear about your precious Jill..... I have been praying, praying and praying some more. For Jill, for you and Lesley and for the rest of your family. Call me when you get a chance. I wish I could be there to help you.
Jolene

Anonymous said...

Betsy, I work with Les from California. Just wanted you and Les to know that we're praying for Jillian and your family. God Bless. Tom Mann

Melissa Gay said...

Betsy & Lee ~ All of us are praying for your sweet, precious family, and especially for your Jill. She is one of my favorite people ON THE PLANET. When asking people yesterday to pray for her, I would just find myself smiling as I described her! She has always been such a joy to me, and I know she is to her family even more so. We serve a Great God Who is in the details of our lives, so we will be praying for the details of Jill's life and for the details surrounding her hospital stay, until she is at home and whole again ~ which we pray will be VERY soon.
Know that we love you all, and we will continue lifting Jill up to our Jehovah Rapha, Our God Who Heals.
Waiting with you in prayer,
Melissa Gay (along with Dee and Nathan)

Andrea W. said...

Betsy, we are praying for Jill.... I will be in touch...please keep us updated. The Websters