Friday, June 11, 2010
~ Pool Anyone?
My parents took our family to a wonderful lake house in Alabama for the Thanksgiving holidays. It was a blast to be all together again, especially for our kids. (11 grandchildren) This house had the best family rec rooms I had ever seen, including a great billiard room. It didn't take long before heated competition set in,... boys vs girls, with the girls claiming victory most of the time! Of course, the girls quickly set a 'two shot' rule. Two shots every time, no matter what! Even my sister and my mom got in on the games. The guys did not like our two shot rule, but played on with it, just to keep peace.
I knew when I left there that we needed a pool table, so the hunt began. A few phone calls told me that a brand new one was out of the question. Thank goodness for craigslist, and professional movers. This was not a job for well meaning, weekend warrior parents. Our home is not so roomy, in fact there was really not one square inch of open space. So, once again, I ask Leslie to put on his construction worker hat and un-make one of the bedrooms he built a couple of years ago. We still need this bed room... and yes, for the very first time ever! this would mean that someone would have to share a room. My kids don't share rooms! that is not a concept they would even entertain! But, we all wanted a pool table and there was only one way to make it happen.
So he did it... he took down the walls he had so carefully put up, and Jill and I took it all to the trash site close by... and he put down more hardwood floors, and wal-lah..... we have a nice rec room again....big enough for an 8ft, slate table and some fierce family fun. Bo and Hannah are the 'sharks' in the house! They play everyday, and we have to tell them to 'be quiet'!, actually I have to yell 'shut up!' or we can't think when they are playing! It's all for fun, but on their kid level.... it is serious stuff. Matt has even picked this up pretty well. He is not serious, however, and we have to watch him, or there would be 20 match box cars streaming off the table on orange track making a perfect race bridge! uh.... 'this is NOT that kind of pool table Matthew'... but I hope he never loses the 'adventure vision' in his 5 year old world....
I love that I can play pool anytime now, but with out that 'two shot rule for girls', I can't beat Leslie... he's good!
betsy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment